Thursday 12 January 2017

Wolf Moon Ritual

Wolf Moon- Full Moon Ritual


Also known as: Chase Moon, Moon of Little Winter, Cold Moon, Snow Moon, Quiet Moon

Today is the full moon of January, 2017. It is known as the Wolf moon in Native American tradition as this moon would appear in a time of winter and scarcity and the wolves could be heard howling outside of Native American Settlements. There is plenty of associations of wolves and the more in folklore and mythology, most notable the lore of the werewolf turning man into wolf.

A January moon speaks of new beginnings, protection, new intentions, manifesting your new goals. Now is the time to act for change. This is a good time to meditate, visualise whom you want to become and what change you wish to see in your life or in the world. 

Now is a significant time to make change for the Moon is in Cancer, a water sign (like the moon), governed by the moon, making the timing more significant, which governs emotions and healing and meditation making this a great time for learning lessons, healing wounds, transmuting your emotions, and manifesting new beginnings as in numerology 2017 is a time of a big shift, a new transition, a new beginning for many so the time for change, for manifestation is definitely now so fix your intentions and manifest change!

The day of this moon is Thursday, Thors-day, governed by Jupiter it is a time of goal setting, prosperity, achieving your intentions and action so use this active, achieving energy to increase the power of your spell.

Full  moon magic is great for spiritual magic, enhancing psychic abilities, dream walking or achieving lessons in dreams, meditations, divination and a great time to direct energy into those things which are priority like careers, or healing. The moon in cancer makes great nurturing energy so healing will be in abundance.

For my full moon ritual I placed corresponding icons on my altar including Thor, for the day of the week, and the Goddesses linked to the moon, Artemis and Isis, which I felt would assist me in my healing and in manifesting my aspirations. I put a statue of the wolf on my altar paying homage to the totem animal and its energies along with white candles to manifest the healing energies of the moon. I had a vessel of moon water, water which I had blessed and left outside to soak in some moonlight, for anointing, cleansing and as an offering to Lady Moon, Selene, Isis. 



I included a prayer to wolf, and a reading of the love between wolf and moon to fit with the Native American Lore and to get in the spirit of the "wolf moon", I also included an incantation of the Lunar Queen from one of my favourite oracle decks the Isis Oracle deck by Alana Fairchild.


Incantation of The Lunar Queen by Alana Fairchild
The Lunar Queen Lady Isis, Goddess of Night,
Help me now to follow the neutral Light,
Of the Shining Moon in all her flow
I release force and fear, help me let go
Guided by the Full Moon Now I am open to receive great boon
**(please note the incantation actually says Crescent moon but I have adapted it for this incantation)**



To close the ceremony I made my offering to the earth and the moon and then (as funny as it is ^_^) howled at the moon in the spirit of the wolf.

Here is a little list of Wolf Moon correspondence and some information on the wolf totem:

Correspondences
Animals: Fox, Coyote, Wolf
Colours: Black, blue-violet, brilliant white
Deities: Chang-O, Freyja, Hera, Inanna, Sarasvati, Artemis, Selene, Isis, Nature Spirits
Flowers: Crocus, Snowdrop, Thistle, Nuts, Willow
Stones: Selenite, Moonstone, Opal, Garnet, Jet, Onyx

"To understand totem wolf symbols, one must first understand the heart of the Wolf. This takes time because the Wolf has had to endure many false stereotypes, misconceptions and misunderstandings.
Not at all the picture of ferocity or terror, the Wolf is a creature with a high sense of loyalty and strength. Another misconception is that of the "lone wolf." To the contrary, the Wolf is actually a social creature, friendly, and gregarious with its counterparts.
The Wolf is an incredible communicator. By using touch, body movements, eye contact as well as many complex vocal expressions - the wolf makes his point understood. Those with totem wolf symbols are of the same inclination - they are expressive both vocally and physically. Those who have the wolf as their totem animal are naturally eloquent in speech, and also have knack for creative writing" Sourced from: http://www.whats-your-sign.com/totem-wolf-symbols.html
Full moon blessings!

Freyja Rose )O(

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Freyja, and thank you for stopping by, for I'm very glad I found your space! Magical :)
    Question: how do these moons affect the southern hemisphere, do I just 'reverse' the calendar, i.e. your January my August, to reflect the opposite? or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shadow, sorry I took so long to reply.
    In answer to your question I would suggest to do so! Some of the moons were named in accordance to the powers or season, so just like the solstices I would rename the moon so they correspond with them too! and thank you for your lovely comment, I am glad you enjoyed the blog :)

    Freya Rose
    )O(

    ReplyDelete